Citron is the third plant obtained in Far Future in Plants vs. Zombies 2. When planted, it is relatively small. Then, it charges up its attack and gets larger. When fully charged, it will shoot a powerful ball of plasma approximately every 10 seconds that does 800 damage per shot to a zombie.
When Citron is first planted, it is small. At that stage, it charges its projectile and quickly gets bigger until it reaches its charged stage. It takes seven seconds to charge up the first ball of plasma, then takes ten seconds to charge after that.
If there are no zombies or tombstones in front of the Citron, it will not fire until any other enemy enters its range. The shot deals 800 damage, and is a single-target projectile.
SUN COST: 350
FIRING RATE: 1
PLANT FOOD POWER: Damage
Citrons shoot powerful balls of plasma.
As the owner and primary user of "Vitamin C-U-Later" 20-hour energy shots, Citron is always on and always ready for action. "Let's make this happen!!"
Plant feature: orange-red plant, 100,000 volts"Sufficiently accumulate." This is Citron's motto. his precocious character makes others think that he is profound and steady. When asked about his secret to success, he simply pointed to the large-screen plasma TV in his house.
Plant Food effect
Upon the usage of Plant Food, Citron gets struck by lightning and shoots a giant glowing light-blue plasma ball that travels down the lane, flinging away most types of zombies and tombstones in that lane. The plasma ball disintegrates upon impact with any mechanized zombies, or Gargantuar, dealing 2500 damage. This will reset his attack delay, therefore, it's best to be used when he had just finished firing a shot, since a reset happening by then doesn't really affect gameplay. For balancing reasons, Zombie Bull, Treasure Yeti and all Imps are also directly removed from the screen when hit instead of the plasma ball exploding on them.
|Plant Food Power
|1||0||0||350||5 seconds||300 dps||800 dps||Normal||Normal||2500 dps||Straight|
|2||10||1,000||325||5 seconds||350 dps||850 dps||+ 20%||2600 dps|
|3||75||5,000||325||4.5 seconds||400 dps||900 dps||+ 1.5x||2700 dps|
|4||200||10,000||300||4.5 seconds||450 dps||950 dps||+ 40%||2800 dps|
|5||400||20,000||300||4 seconds||550 dps||1000 dps||3000 dps|
|6||750||30,000||275||4 seconds||600 dps||+ 60%||3200 dps|
|7||1,000||40,000||275||3.5 seconds||650 dps||+ 1.9x||3400 dps|
|8||1,250||50,000||250||3.5 seconds||700 dps||+ 80%||3600 dps|
|9||1,500||60,000||250||3 seconds||800 dps||3800 dps|
|10||2,000||75,000||225||3 seconds||900 dps||+ 100%||4000 dps|
*Damage dealt to units it cannot wipe out instantly.
- Citron's charging time is actually 7 second, but there's a 2.5–second interval between each charge, during which he fires the plasma ball. This means that at Level 10, Citron attacks at a six–second rate and fully charges in only 3.5 second.
- Chance to Boost
- Damage Pierce
Citron now deals higher damage and produces chains of electric current to attack zombies.
Citron's greatest advantage is its high damage per second capability. Against a single target, Citron can easily outmatch most controllable plants, including Strawburst and Banana Launcher or even the Magnifying Grass (If you don't have sun). Thanks to this, Citron is a powerful choice against single high-health targets such as Robo-Cone Zombie and Gargantuar. However, its high cost, slow firing rate, and the inability to control Citron mean that large numbers of zombies will present a great challenge, as Citron will deal huge amounts of overkill damage and waste its shots. Because of this, Citron should be paired with other crowd-controlling plants like Laser Bean or Fume-shroom, and it should not be used by itself. When paired with either of the two, it can become a seriously dangerous plant.
The Plant Food ability is very similar in many parts to Laser Bean's. The main difference between the two is how they deal with larger, tougher zombies. Laser Bean's Plant Food ability is not stopped by mechanical enemies, effectively making Laser Bean more useful than Citron for crowd control. Conversely, Citron's can instantly kill zombies that Laser Bean's cannot, making Citron ideal against single Gargantuars and Gargantuar Prime, who will release their Imp after passing the 91 normal damage shots mark. Regardless, in levels without tough zombies, the two Plant Food effects are perfectly interchangeable with no major differences.
Citron should be avoided against fast zombies like All-Star Zombie and Surfer Zombie or zombies that block or deflect straight-firing projectiles like Shield Zombie, Jester Zombie, and Excavator Zombie. All-Star Zombies and Surfer Zombies can reach the Citrons quickly and destroy them (though this is easily resolved by using a cannon fodder plant). Shield Zombie, Jester Zombies, and Excavator Zombies, on the other hand, will nullify the plasma ball. The same does not apply to its Plant Food ability projectile, so Citron can be boosted to deal with these threats should the situation get dire.
Do not use Citron on levels with Chicken Wrangler Zombies or Weasel Hoarders, as they release many small, extremely weak yet fast Zombie Chickens and Ice Weasels. Citron is unable to conquer them alone due to its slow attack speed, plus the fact that it can only hit one target at a time. Therefore, it should be paired with Laser Bean, Fume-shroom, Snapdragon, Electric Peashooter or Lightning Reed to deal with these zombies. Do note that the same does not apply to its Plant Food ability projectile.
Tips: Avoid using Citrons on levels where tombstones are present as their plasma will hit them, wasting an attack. Also, Tomb Raiser Zombies pose a major threat against Citron in Ancient Egypt as they will continuously create more tombstones while Citron's fire rate is slow and can only destroy one at a time. If planted on a power tile on all lanes, it is useful to clear zombies in small sizes.
In the Chinese version, it is recommended to upgrade Citron to at least level 4, since when it is planted, it has a chance to immediately activate its Plant Food ability. In addition, Sweet Potato can help attract more zombies so Citron could kill them easily.
In Chinese version, for level 5 ability, it is useful to kill Chicken Wrangler Zombie and Weasel Hoarder, as the electromagnetic effect can clear swarms, and using an Aloe and Dave's Alarm Clock pendant helps with recharging of Citron.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Citron.
- If one looks closely at a zombie that has been flung from its Plant Food ability, small bolts of electricity will arc around the zombie.
- Before Far Future was released, it was originally going to cost 400 sun, according to an official screenshot released on Tuesday Exclusive prior to the world's release by Electronic Arts. Probably, the cost was reduced for balancing reasons - It doesn't deal splash damage like Coconut Cannon (also 400 sun), therefore the high cost would severely damage game balance.
- It was the second Far Future plant to be previewed in Piñata Parties, with the first being Laser Bean.
- During the setup for Last Stand, its animation stops once it is fully charged, possibly due to a bug. Once the level starts, its animation will resume. This also happens in Far Future - Day 15, on the seed selection screen.
- Magic Vine's projectile from Plant Food upgrade is a recolored version of Citron's.
- The Puzzle Piece to unlock it shows a fully charged Citron, while the Puzzle Piece to unlock its costume shows an uncharged Citron.
- In a Zomboss battle, if there are fully charged Citrons in the lanes the Zombot is in, the Citrons will shoot at the Zombot while it is leaving.
- Citron's idle animation in game is different from both the one of the Almanac (slightly flatter) and that of the seed packet (does not glow).
- In certain levels like Last Stand, during the preparation phase, however, when a Citron is fully charged, its shape is actually the same as the one in the seed packet.
- Its Plant Food effect can destroy multiple mechanical zombies at once if it is activated close enough, despite not being splash damage. This was also true for Gargantuars before the 6.7.1. update.
- When Citron is bitten while reloading, its mouth will flash white and it will reload longer.
- Its Almanac entry is a pun on "Vitamin C" in oranges and the phrase "see you later."