- For other uses, see Chomper (disambiguation).
Chomper is a playable plant class in Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville. Chomper is an Attack class that specializes in close range attacks. Unlike in the Garden Warfare series, Chomper can no longer instantly eat zombies unless while using Burrow.
- 1 Description
- 2 Weapons
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Upgrades
- 5 Strategies
- 6 Bugs
- 7 Balancing changes
- 8 Related achievement
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Trivia
- 11 See also
- 12 References
Close range attacker that can snare and slow opponents and can Burrow underground to instantly vanquish opponents. Don't let them see you coming!
Chomper's primary weapon is the Chomp, a melee weapon that deals 41 damage in a very short range.
Chomper's secondary weapon is the Slobber Shot, a ranged attack that can only be used when aiming. It deals 34 damage (41 critical) damage and has a slow rate of fire.
|Launch a snaring trap to stun enemies.|
|Instantly vanquish enemies by targeting them from underground. Press [?] to eat your target.|
|Immobilize and disarm enemies by catching them in a toxic cloud.|
Faster refresh time for all abilities by earning multiple vanquishes rapidly.
Reduces ability cooldown by 100% (10 seconds) for earning multiple vanquishes.
Chomp can do critical damage.
Deal 30% more damage for attacking an enemies head.
Faster refresh time for all abilities by reviving an ally.
Reduces ability cooldown by 100% (10 seconds) when a teammate is revived.
Spawn with more health after suffering multiple vanquishes in a row.
After dying three times in a row, spawn with the maximum amount of overhealth for the currently used class after respawning or being revived.
Gain health by earning a vanquish when at low health.
Grants 11 health over 3 seconds upon vanquishing an enemy at 20% HP or lower.
Longer duration of Grody Goop.
Grody Goop lasts for 12 seconds.
Gain health by dealing damage with a Spikeweed.
Gain 50 health after an enemy steps on or destroys a Spikeweed, can give overhealth .
Regenerate health when near multiple enemies.
When near one-four enemies within a 10m radius, regenerate 1-4 HP every 0.5 seconds.
Faster refresh time for all abilities by earning a critical vanquish.
Reduces ability cooldown by 5.5 seconds upon critically vanquishing an enemy.
When using Burrow reduces Dig Power consumption when moving slow.
Standing still or moving slow in Burrow increases Burrow's duration by 100% (22 seconds).
Deal additional splash damage at location that Slobber Shot hits.
Splash stats: Blast damage = 9, Inner blast radius = 2.4999m, Blast radius = 2.25m, Shockwave damage = 5, Shockwave radius = 2.5m.
Move faster, except when sprinting.
Increases walking speed by 12.9032%.
Gain health by earning a vanquish.
Grants 14 health over 3 seconds upon vanquishing an enemy.
Create a Spikeweed at Chomper's location by earning a vanquish with Burrow.
Spawn multiple Spikeweeds that last for 90 seconds each.
Earn XP faster.
Earn 10% more XP.
Reduced time between taking damage and when health regeneration activates.
Reduces the time required to start health regeneration by 70%.
Move faster for a short time by earning a vanquish with Burrow.
Increases movement speed by 55% for 5 seconds upon vanquishing an enemy with Burrow, move faster when digesting.
Use weapons and abilities faster just after sprinting.
Reduces sprint exit delay by 41.6875%
Faster movement speed and faster Chomp speed when in Grody Goop.
Increases movement, Chomp and Slobber Shot speed by 20% when in Grody Goop, last for 5 seconds out of Grody Goop.
Gain faster digestion speed after vanquishing with Burrow.
Reduces the time required to digest an enemy by 60%.
- Chomper now has the Slobber Shot attack as a secondary weapon, making this plant suitable for ranged attacks. The Slobber Shot has a slow rate of fire.
- Having a Sunflower constantly healing the Chomper can help it in close range combat.
- Burrowing can help the Chomper evade from incoming fire.
- Using Grody Goop can be helpful when one is trying to defend a Garden, as it disables abilities for Zombies.
- Chomper's job is to act as a "pressure unit" and must charge and flank the Zombie team. He acts as a distraction so the enemy team will prioritize him instead of the Plant team.
- Not only does Grody Goop help to counter Space Station, but it's great for taking out a small group of Zombies. Flanking is heavily advised.
- If a Chomper tries to use Burrow, sprint to outrun him, or get to high ground. Abilities that launch you in the air like ZPG or Rocket Ride or abilities that move you around such as Sprint Tackle or Warp can help in escaping a burrowing Chomper.
- If a Chomper is giving you a hard time, switch to Engineer. Engineer’s Bullhorn Swarm will dispel a Chomper from burrowing, and you can stand on top of your Heavy Helper to make you immune to Burrow. In addition, Double Time can also be stood on top of and will give you and your allies a speed boost to help in outrunning the Chomper.
Tips & Tricks
- Unlike in the previous game, Captain Deadbeard is not immune to being Burrowed while in Barrel Blast, so he will be completely helpless against a burrowing Chomper they are unprepared for.
- Burrowing at the right time can be used to dodge an incoming ZPG.
As of the July 2020 patch, there is a bug where the player can significantly increase his chomping rate of fire by rapidly pressing the fire and reload buttons. Using a script, macro, or modded controller, it is possible to achieve excessively high rate of fire with this glitch. Because of this, he got disabled for use in multiplayer to prevent this glitch from being abused. 
As of September 2nd 2020, Chomper was re-enabled for multiplayer, but Face Bite is still disabled for fixing. On public multiplayer sessions, it can appear the glitch is still active, but it is purely visual. However, it still works on PvE regions or private play. 
- ▲ Removed delay after button input with Burrow
- ▼ Improved audio of burrow for enemy recognition
- ▲ Ability icon of Grody Goop now shows active state while gas is active
- ▼ Additional check with Spikeweed to guarantee victim is within proper range before being trapped
- ▲ Chomp damage increased 28.8->40.55
- ▲ Slobber Shot damage increased 22.6->34
- ▲ Slobber Shot projectile speed post drag period reduce 400->250
- ▲ Splash damage increased for the Halitosis upgrade 5.45->9
- ▲ Increased effective area of primary Chomp
- ▲ Increased length from 4.25 to 4.5
- ▲ Increased near width from 3.4 to 5
- ▲ Increased far width from 1.8 to 3.4
- ▲ Increased height from 1.75 to 2.25
- ▼ Decreased velocity and drag distance of Slobber Shot
- Decreased projectile speed from 800 m/s (2624.67 ft/s) to 400 m/s (1312.34 ft/s)
- Spikeweed and Grody Goop
- Adjust trajectory to be more center screen aligned
- Target detection improved
- ▲ Increase chomp distance 3.0->3.75 m
- ▲ Increase chomp height distance 1.0->4.25 m
- Switch to automatic fire
- ▲ Now ensnares Captain Deadbeard during Barrel Blast
- ▼ Decrease target height reach 4.24->2.5 m
- ▲ Increase underground speed multiplier 2->2.25x
- Speed is now normalized in all directions
- Fix the issue with zombies being turned into goats right before they are eaten
- Grody Goop
- ▲ Increase initial damage 35->45
- ▲ Increase tick damage 1->4
- ▼ Increase ability refresh time 9->10
- Upgrade Well Fed
- Fix underground speed to match regular Burrow
- Upgrade Dirth Bath
- Fix the issue with speed burst not getting turned off on Chomper being vanquished
- Upgrade Halitosis
- ▲ Increase blast radius 0.46->2.25 m
- ▲ Increase shockwave radius 1.5->2.5 m
- Upgrade Vampire Spikeweed
- Fix the issue with Spikeweeds placed from Symbiosis upgrade not granting health
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Chomper.
- Slobber Shot appears to be made of the same material as Goop.