- For other versions, see Chomper (disambiguation).
- For more information about this character, see Chomper.
Chomper was released on October 7th, 2014 along with the Big Wave Beach Part 1 teaser Piñata Parties, and is currently available for purchase at $4.99.
Chomper can devour most types of zombies, instantly killing them in the process. However, after eating an enemy, Chomper will require a large amount of time to devour the victim, making him vulnerable, exposing itself to other zombies' attacks in the process. When faced with inedible targets such as tombstones, mechanical threats, and Gargantuars, Chomper will instead attempt to damage them with his bites.
Its digest time was reduced to 30 seconds from the original game, and his bites now also have increased damage, dealing 200 damage per shot worth of damage each.
Chomper cannot devour, but can damage the following zombies:
- Gargantuar variants
- Barrel Roller Zombie's barrel.
- Imp Cannon
- Zombie Bull and Rodeo Legend Zombie
- Pianist Zombie
- Mecha-Football Zombie
- Robo-Cone Zombie
- Disco-tron 3000
- Zombie King
- Cavalry Zombie
- Fisherman Zombie
- Zombie Chicken and Ice Weasel
- Solar Car Zombie
- Treasure Yeti
- Cardio Zombie
- Zcorpion Zombie
- Roman Caesar Zombie
- All bosses
SUN COST: 150
SPECIAL: Chew Speed
Chompers can devour a zombie whole, but they are vulnerable while chewing.
Special: long delay between chomps
Everyone appreciates what Chomper does. His appetite has saved them on numerous occasions. But truth be told, Chomper's friends think that eating zombies is gross. And his breath! No one has the heart to tell him, and he never gets the hint when you offer him a mint.
Plant Food effect
When fed with Plant Food, Chomper will unleash a high intensity wind that will drag the three nearest zombies to it and then push the surviving zombies away by releasing a burp. If it pulls in any inedible zombies, it will deal 50 normal damage shots to those zombies. In the Chinese version, it will pull in only two zombies instead of three.
When boosted by Enforce-mint, Chomper's chew time is reduced to 1.5 seconds.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
|1||0||0||150||5 seconds||300 dps||30 seconds||Close|
|2||10||1,000||150||5 seconds||350 dps||25 seconds|
|3||25||2,500||150||4.5 seconds||400 dps||20 seconds|
|4||50||5,000||125||4.5 seconds||450 dps||15 seconds|
|5||100||10,000||125||4.5 seconds||550 dps||10 seconds|
|6||200||20,000||125||4 seconds||600 dps|
|7||400||30,000||100||4 seconds||650 dps|
|8||800||50,000||100||3.5 seconds||700 dps|
|9||1,200||75,000||100||3.5 seconds||800 dps|
|10||1,600||100,000||75||3 seconds||900 dps|
Chomper now does a longer burp.
Chomper has received a few buffs, namely its reduced digest time and increased bite damage, which makes it more effective when faced with inedible targets, particularly Zombie Bull and mechanical threats in Far Future. However, poor performance against groups of enemies still remains a problem to Chomper. In addition, Chomper is also generally inferior to Toadstool, which has a greatly increased range and can generate sun after digesting zombies as well as having the ability to devour Rodeo Legend Zombies whereas Chomper does not.
The player can use disabling plants like Stunion, E.M.Peach, and Stallia against inedible targets first to allow Chomper to deal more damage. Tombstones, surfboards, frozen blocks and arcade machines also count as inedible targets, causing the Chomper to bite them, destroying them in a few bites as long as it is not busy devouring zombies. With mechanical zombies or Gargantuars, you could freeze them right in front of the Chomper, will it can repeatedly bite them, doing heavy damage. In Ancient Egypt, Chomper is useful against Pharaoh Zombies, as it can devour both the zombie and the sarcophagus in one bite. In Wild West and Frostbite Caves, Chomper is useful for stopping Chicken Wrangler Zombies and Weasel Hoarders from releasing their chickens or weasels. It is also useful in Dark Ages since it can eat Knight Zombies easily as well as boosted zombies from Dark Alchemy. In Big Wave Beach, it is useful against Surfer Zombie as they can devour both the zombie and the surfboard. It is also useful against Octo Zombies as they can destroy the octopi within 3 bites. In Lost City, Chompers are good choices against Imp Porters as they can devour both the imp and the backpack. In Modern Day, it is useful against Newspaper Zombie as they can devour the zombie, ignoring the newspaper.
Avoid using Chomper against Explorer Zombies and Torchlight Zombies as they can easily destroy it without being devoured. The same thing applies to MC Zom-B while his jam is playing. Also, zombies kicked by Breakdancer Zombies or raptors can highly overwhelm Chomper.
There is a way to get over Chomper's weakness of its long chew time. You may simply dig it up while it is chewing and replace it with a new one due to Chomper's relatively fast recharge time compared to it's slow chewing time. This strategy is great if the player has one to three of the Shovel Boost Upgrades since the player can refund more sun.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Chomper (PvZ2).
- No matter what type of zombie it eats, the arm hanging out of its mouth does not wear any shirt sleeve and look identical to a regular zombie, as with the first game.
- The code for it was in the game until the 1.4 update, but was re-added in the 2.5.1 update as a fully functional plant.
- It was mentioned in Dark Ages - Night 20 dialogue by Crazy Dave. He said: "Phew! Plants shouldn't eat zombies who eat plants. Except Chomper. He has to. Dude needs the fiber." so as to tease Big Wave Beach and its return.
- It sometimes mimics dog-like behavior by scratching its head with its leaves.
- It can swallow Chicken Wrangler Zombies without them releasing Zombie Chickens. The same thing happens with Weasel Hoarders.
- It is one of the five plants that make noises in the Almanac, the others being Electric Blueberry, Sweet Potato, Sap-fling, and Chard Guard.
- When it swallows a zombie, it will spew out an eyeball while burping.
- This is strikingly similar to Pac-Man.
- Its Plant Food effect resembles a vacuum cleaner as it makes the same sounds and its stalk does a pumping animation.
- When fed Plant Food, if a Pianist Zombie is in the draw zone, the zombie is instantly defeated.