- For other versions, see Chomper (disambiguation).
- For more information about this character, see Chomper.
Chomper is obtained by completing Level 1-7. Chomper can devour most types of zombies, instantly killing them in the process. However, after eating an enemy, Chomper will require 42 seconds before he can eat another, making him vulnerable, exposing itself to other zombies' attacks in the process
His name is related to the verb chomp, meaning the act of chewing and munching something loudly or heavily.
|Chomper devours a Zombie|
Chomper's main value in the plant arsenal is found in his ability to instantly devour tougher zombies such as Buckethead Zombies, Zombonis, and Football Zombies, who would otherwise be able to soak up a considerable amount of damage and allow their comrades to advance. However, this comes at a great price, as Chomper will be rendered inactive for a very long while and exposing himself to attacks after devouring an enemy, regardless of who the victim was - a basic Zombie and a Football Zombie will take the same amount of time to be digested. Chomper also has dismal performance against Gargantuars, due to his low range and bite damage.
- Defensive plants: Wall-nut, Tall-nut and Pumpkin,
- Slowing and freezing plants: Snow Pea, Winter Melon, and Ice-shroom.
It is suggested to use Digger Zombie to eat a Chomper from the back, as he cannot eat zombies backwards.
In ZomBoogie, Dancing Zombies are useful in countering Chomper, as they can summon Backup Dancers as shields while advancing. Deploying a Dancing Zombie between two lanes guarded with Chomper should be able to clear up to three lanes with little trouble, and additional regular Zombies can also be placed to ensure that the Chompers are defeated.
In All your brainz r belong to us, there is usually only one lane with Chompers. Digger Zombie is advised for assaulting this particular lane, but the player should remember to check Magnet-shroom on adjacent lanes that can force Digger Zombie to surface.
Nom Nom Nom achievement
To get this achievement, complete the level using only Sunflower, Wall-nut, and Chomper. It is advised to obtain this achievement by playing a Day level after finishing the game due to the low amount of zombies present there. The Garden Rake and Lawn Mowers can also be helpful in giving the player more time to gather sun.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Chomper.
In other languages
|Simplified Chinese||大嘴花||lit. "Big Mouth Flower"|
|English||The Little Shop of Horrors|
|Simplified Chinese||恐怖小店||lit. "Little Shop of Horrors"|
- If Chomper is smashed, his flattened sprite will always have no zombies or arms, and will have an open mouth regardless of whether he was chomping a zombie or not.
- If Chomper is planted directly in front of a bobsled and Chomper eats the bobsled before it breaks, he will instantly devour all four zombies inside, saving lots of time.
- According to the Plants vs. Zombies website, Chomper costs 175 sun, while in-game, he actually costs 150.
- Chomper's Almanac entry states that he was going to be a movie star, explicitly referencing the movie Little Shop of Horrors. This may be due to the fact that Chomper resembles Audrey II, the carnivorous monster plant from that movie.
- On the Nintendo DS, iOS, and Android versions of Plants vs. Zombies, his Almanac entry says "Hollywood" instead of "The Little Shop of Horrors."
- Chomper, Sunflower, Peashooter, Repeater, Wall-nut, Tall-nut, and Cactus are the plants that appear on the start menu, but in this art, he has no spikes on his head.
- In the art cover of the Plants vs. Zombies Original Soundtrack, he is visible singing along with the Squash and Sun-shroom. This version has three spikes on his head, while the in-game Chomper has four.
- When a Pole Vaulting Zombie (while it still has its pole) runs into Chomper (not chewing), he will attempt to chomp, but fail to catch the vaulting zombie. This is not the case if Pole Vaulting Zombie is slowed down enough to be eaten.
- If player pauses the game and exits to the main menu while Chomper tries to devour a Gargantuar then loads the saved game, the Chomper will appear as if he is already "devouring" a zombie: this is most likely a programming glitch.
- In the PC demo version, when Chomper eats a zombie, the player will hear the noise when a zombie eats a plant alongside his normal biting sound.
- According to the Tree of Wisdom, Chomper and Wall-nut were roommates in college. This is an obvious reference to their efficient synergy.
- If an Imitater is transformed into a Chomper, the zombie arm in his mouth will appear monochrome.
- The idea of Chomper was inspired by the movie Swiss Family Robinson, Plants vs. Zombies creator George Fan's favorite movie. The idea was from a tiger in a hole that would eat pirates.
- Chomper is nicknamed "大牙" (lit. "big tooth") in Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West.