In Garden Warfare 2, a single Chomp Thing appears as a boss in the "League of Awesome" quest, in which he has eaten Toxic Brainz and must be defeated in order to continue the said quest. Due to being a champion, he has more health than the average Chomp Thing (as he can withstand one ZPG shot without being vanquished).
His appearance and name are references to the DC Comics superhero Swamp Thing. The "Chomp" in place of "Swamp" in his name also refers to how he is a Chomper and how the two words rhyme.
Chomp Thing might seem kind of gross to you and me. After all, what kind of Plant spews mud and dirt and bugs? Well Chomp Thing doesn't care what you think! He thinks he's the best!
Chomp Thing can regenerate his health slightly faster than your average Chomper!
AI Health(GW2 only)
The primary weapon of the Chomp Thing is Swamp Spray. It deals 7.5 damage, and hits much more rapidly than other spray attacks. This variant also regenerates health sooner and faster than normal. He receives a damage upgrade to his primary weapon, unlike other Chompers.
Goop is one of Chomper's only ranged attack. Activating it shoots out a purple spitball in whatever direction the Chomper is facing. If it lands on a Zombie, it covers them in purple goop. While the Zombie is "gooped", it moves slower and cannot turn around as fast. This ability takes 7 seconds to recharge after being used.
The Chomper burrows underground and digs in any desired direction. The Chomper cannot be harmed while underground. If the Chomper manages to dig it's way under a Zombie, it can burst out of the ground and eat it. While burrowing, the time remaining in burrow mode is displayed in a meter at the bottom of the screen, called Dig Power. Moving slower will reduce the rate at which the Dig Power is consumed. If the Chomper doesn't move at all while underground, after approximately 15 seconds, it will be forced back to the surface.
This ability has 3 charges. Chomper deploys a Spikeweed in front of itself. Enemies that stand on it will take 50 damage (25x2) and get hung into the air for a few seconds. While the Spikeweed is holding the Zombie, the Zombie cannot attack. Swallowing Zombies caught in Spikeweeds gives the Chomper another Spikeweed charge. Once the Spikeweed drops the Zombie, the Spikeweed instantly dies. The Spikeweed can be damaged and destroyed by zombies.
Super Sticky Goop
An alternate ability of Goop, Super Sticky Goop completely immobilizes any zombies struck by it, with the same reduced turn speed as normal goop. The downside is that the cool down is almost twice as long as the normal goop (15 seconds), and it deals half the damage as the normal goop.
An alternate ability of Burrow, Sprint Burrow is a faster, but shorter version of Burrow.
An alternate ability of Spikeweed, Spiky Spikeweed does increased damage to zombies caught for a total of 70 damage (35x2 damage). The downside is that only two can be stockpiled at a time, versus the regular three.
Cheesy Goop (GW1 only)
An alternate ability of Goop, Cheesy Goop deals much more damage than its two other counterparts (5 with 10 damage over time) however the ability has a much higher cooldown (double that of Goop, like Super Sticky Goop).
An alternate ability of Spikeweed, Vampweed doesn't deal any damage, but it will heal you a total of 40 hp (10x4 hp) and still snaring zombies. Like the Spiky Spikeweed, only 2 can be stockpiled at a time.
An alternate ability of Goop, the Chomp Cannon does not goop zombies, but rather launches a projectile from the Chomper's mouth after a second that deals a great amount of damage if it hits a zombie (100 direct hit, 50 max splash damage). This is useful for attacking Zombies on the rooftops.
Pull yourself around a little faster with stronger vines!
Extra mud helps you digest faster!
Larger bugs do more damage!
In the presence of the fast regeneration, Chomp Thing is a stealthy chomper, along with Count Chompula. Try to hide around corners, and attack the lone zombies or swallow zombies that are dragging behind in zombie groups. If you are forced into close quarters, flank and vanquish them quickly, then hide and regenerate your health. In Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, it is advised you to get the regeneration upgrade, for the quick regeneration time ability along with said upgrade results in quick recovery or escapes.
- ▲ Digestion time was decreased after a chomp escape (i.e. victim got away using anti-chomp ability like Jackhammer).
- ▼ Brought Chompers regeneration delay to parity with all other playable characters.
- ▲ Fixed a bug where Chomp Thing’s health regeneration did not match his weapon description. He now regenerates health slightly sooner and faster than default.
- Tuned Chomper camera to be closer to that in Garden Warfare.
- ▲ Improved all digestion time upgrade multipliers.
- ▲ Chomp Thing now begins to regenerate health almost immediately after taking damage.
- ▲ Damage was increased from 6.5 to 7.5.
- ▼ Effectiveness of overheat was decreased.
- ▲ Health regeneration rate was increased from 50% faster to 75% faster than standard one.
- ▲ Health was increased from 125 to 135.
- He is one of the five Chomper variants whose stem and leaves have different colors. The others are Count Chompula, Hot Rod Chomper, Armor Chomper, and Chester Chomper.
- He is the only Chomper variant that has no thorns on his stem.
- The damage upgrade also serves as a health upgrade giving 25 more health alongside the extra damage. This is the only Chomper variant to have such an upgrade.
- He is the only spray Chomper that does not cause a status effect.
- He is the only Chomper variant to have received a majority of buffs during the content updates of Garden Warfare 2, considering that he was one of the worst variants ever in the first game.
- He and Armor Chomper are the only Chomper variants whose health is not a multiple of 25.
- He is one of five Chompers to attack with some kind of ranged attack. The others are Fire Chomper, Toxic Chomper, Power Chomper, and Yeti Chomper.