A mushroom is a fleshy, spore-bearing, fruiting body of a fungus, typically produced above ground on soil or on its food source. The mushrooms' projectiles are spores and fumes. In Plants vs. Zombies, they are active at Night and sleep during the Day, but can be woken up by having a Coffee Bean planted on them.
In Plants vs. Zombies 2, mushrooms do not sleep during day anymore. Five of them from Plants vs. Zombies have returned (Sun-shroom, Puff-shroom, Fume-shroom, and Magnet-shroom), and Hypno-shroom has become a gem premium plant. There are four new mushrooms, Spore-shroom, obtained in Neon Mixtape Tour, Perfume-shroom, obtained in Jurassic Marsh, Shadow-shroom, obtained in Modern Day, and Toadstool, which is a premium.
In the Chinese version, there are new mushrooms not in the international version, including Cryo-shroom, and Pyro-shroom, which require Puzzle Pieces to unlock, Magic-shroom, which is a monthly special plant, and Flat-shroom, a Steam Ages plant. In Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, mushrooms serve the role of the aggressive fighters for the Kabloom heroes, but also have various uses. New mushrooms include Buff-Shroom, Punish-Shroom, Grow-Shroom, Button Mushroom, and Sportacus.
- Mushrooms are not classified as plants in real life. They are classified as fungi, which are in real life closer to animals than plants.
- Fume-shrooms and Magnet-shrooms are the only mushrooms that can be upgraded, however, only the Gloom-shroom is a mushroom. Gold Magnet is a normal plant.
- Puff-shrooms and Sea-shrooms are the only mushrooms that cost no sun.
- There is an achievement in the first game called No Fungus Among Us which requires to complete a nighttime level without using mushrooms.
- Sea-shroom is the only aquatic mushroom.
- In real life, Psathyrella aquatica is currently the only known mushroom to be observed to grow underwater.
- All the mushrooms appear to stretch when a Coffee Bean is planted on them.
- Spore-shroom is the only lobbed-shot mushroom.
- Gloom-shroom and Toadstool are the only mushrooms that can only be obtained by purchasing them.
- Toadstool is the only mushroom that is based on a real animal.
- Mushrooms in the Zen Garden can go in the Day Garden if they have been fully grown, and are emitting light.
- Toadstool, both Nightcaps, Blight Cap and Sportacus are the only mushrooms not to have a "-shroom" or "mushroom" in their name.
- This isn't including all the NPC variants of the Night Cap class or variants of potted plant variants of mushrooms.
All items (73)
- Fu Ling Mushroom
- Fume-shroom (PvZ: AS)
- Fume-Shroom (PvZH)
- Fume-shroom (Spawnable)
- Magnet-shroom (PvZ: AS)
- Magneto Mushroom
- Mushroom Ringleader
- Poison Mushroom
- Pound Cake
- Puff-shroom (PvZ: AS)
- Puff-Shroom (PvZH)
- Scaredy-shroom (PvZ: AS)
- Scaredy-shroom (Spawnable)
- Sea-Shroom (PvZH)
- Shelf Mushroom
- Shroom for Two
- Sun-shroom (PvZ: AS)
- Sun-Shroom (PvZH)