- For other uses, see Captain Deadbeard (disambiguation).
Captain Deadbeard is a playable zombie class in Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville. He is a Defend class who specializes in long-range attacks, via either his Spyglass Shot sniper weapon or through his aerial Parrot Pal drone. His Cannon Rodeo ability from Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 has been replaced with Anchor's Away, a grappling hook to give Captain Deadbeard more mobility in order to reach more strategic positions. Furthermore, he can also now charge up his Spyglass Shot weapon the longer he is scoped in for in order to do more damage and his Scurvy Scattershot now deals many small and weak hitboxes instead of one large and powerful hitbox.
Captain Deadbeards are long-range specialists. Use abilities to get to high ground or take to the air with your Parrot Drone to attack from above
|Hide in a short-fused powder keg. Light fuse with [?].|
|Control a flying Parrot Drone.|
|Choose a destination and press [?] to launch yourself.|
Faster refresh time for all abilities by reviving an ally.
Reduces ability cooldown by 30% when a teammate is revived.
Spawn with more health after suffering multiple vanquishes in a row.
After dying three times in a row, spawn with the maximum amount of overhealth for the currently used class after respawning or being revived.
Captain Deadbeard gets launched higher from Barrel Blast.
Barrel Blast launches Captain Deadbeard 11.5m (37.73 ft) upward.
Briefly reduce incoming damage by earning a critical vanquish. Can stack 3 times.
Reduces incoming damage by 15% for 5 seconds upon vanquishing an enemy. Stacks up to 2 times for a total of 30% damage resistance.
Faster health regeneration.
Doubles health regeneration rate.
Health Regeneration Delay
Reduced time between taking damage and when health regeneration activates.
Reduces the time required to start health regeneration by half.
Earn XP faster.
Earn 10% more XP.
Faster refresh time for all abilities by earning a critical vanquish.
Reduces ability cooldown by 3 seconds upon critically vanquishing an enemy.
Move faster while in Barrel Blast.
Move 40.3509% faster while in Barrel Blast.
Reduced overheat for Parrot Pulse weapon.
Each shot reduces the overheat percentage by 1.333333% linearly.
Scurvy Scattershot knocks enemies away when dealing damage.
Scurvy Scattershot knocks enemies 2.5m (8.2 ft) upward and 9m (29.53 ft) backward.
Move faster when at low health.
Increases movement speed by 20% upon reaching 20% HP or below.
Move faster, except when sprinting.
Increases walking speed by 12.9032%
Improved view on Spyglass Shot lens when zoomed.
Faster refresh time of Eggsplosion by dealing critical damage with Parrot Pal.
Critical hits with Parrot Pal reduces Eggsplosion's cooldown timer by up to 3 seconds.
Reduced spread of Scurvy Scattershot.
Reduces Scurvy Scattershot's spread by 50%.
Gain ammo for Spyglass Shot when vanquishing enemies at max charge.
Adds 4 rounds to the Spyglass Shot upon earning a fully charged vanquish.
Start with max zoom damage for short time after activating Anchr's Away.
Gain an instant full charge on Spyglass Shot after using Anchor's Away.
Move faster for a short time after landing from Anchor's Away.
Increases movement speed by 30% for 5 seconds after using Anchor's Away.
Move faster for a short time by earning a vanquish.
Increases movement speed by 55% for 3 seconds upon vanquishing an enemy.
Captain Deadbeard can be thought of as a Scientist and a Cactus combined into a class. He plays like the Cactus in terms of long-range, yet he's good in close combat, like the Scientist. His Barrel Blast, when given upgrades, is very versatile. Not only does it give you a defense boost when in the barrel, but it gives you a speed boost when lit, and does a lot of damage. His Parrot Pal is small, agile and does a good amount of damage, plus the Eggsplosion carpet bombs an area and does more damage than the Big Bulb Barrage, making it a very solid ability against multiple enemies. Lastly, the Anchor's Away allows you to either get onto higher ground, escape or if very desperate you can hit your aggressor with the anchor for 50 damage. However his major weakness is mid-range, as it is his blind spot, so be wary of characters like the Kernel Corn, Night Cap and Sunflower. His low health means that he is easy to kill.
Overall, Captain Deadbeard is a solid sniper, who can be a threat at and long-range and can hold his own at close range.
Captain Deadbeard is very threatening in long-range as a 2-4 fully charged shot can instantly kill any character, and his shotgun is solid, like the Scientist. However, his average health, no good tools at mid-range and lack of versatility in close range means that he isn't that threatening at mid to close range. The best plant to counter Deadbeard would be Rose. Since she has homing equipped with her weapon, you don't really have to fully aim, Arcane Enigma can protect you from Barrel Blast, and can get you farther away from him. Jinx can help you do more damage, plus Goatify can nullify any attempt to get you.
Tips & Tricks
October 2019 patch
- ▲ Removed delay after button input of Barrel Blast
- ▲ Reduced time between activation and being able to light fuse with Barrel Blast 2.5->1.25s
November 27 2019 Update (Pre-TTK)
- ▲ Remove weapon deploy time for Spyglass Shot
- ▼ Barrel Blast barrel health decreased from 150->85
- ▼ Parrot Drone's Eggsplosion initial blast damage decreased 75->65
- ▼ Parrot Drone's Eggsplosion blast radius of cluster eggs decreased 3.2->2.25
- ▼ Add initial cooldown when parrot is summoned
Early December 2019 TTK Changelist
- ▲ Increase Spyglass Shot ammo capacity 12->20
- ▲ Increase Scurvy Scattershot ammo capacity 12->20
- ▲ Increase Scurvy Scattershot damage per projectile 1.61->1.9
- ▲ Barrel Blast barrel health increased from 85->100
- ▲ Parrot Drone's Parrot Pulse damage increased 7->8.2
- ▲ Decrease overheat penalty for Parrot Drone's Parrot Pulse 3.0->1.0
- ▲ Increase Parrot Drone's Parrot Pulse initial speed 150->350
- ▼ Added bullet speed fall off for Parrot Drone's Parrot Pulse
- ▼ Decrease Eggsplosion initial blast damage 65->50
- Anchor Shot
- Fix issue with targeting arc not turning off after being revived if vanquished with weapon primed
- ▲ Increase damage 20->50
- Adjust trajectory to be more center screen aligned
- Fix issue with ability refresh timer not resetting
- Upgrade Powder Keg
- ▼ Remove secondary explosion
- This fixes a glitch with this upgrade where equipping it will cause the Barrel Blast to deal 300 damage
- ▼ Remove secondary explosion
- Upgrade Heavy Metal
- Updated description to match gameplay; full charges lasts until next shot
- Upgrade Long Barrel
- Fix issue with reticle not adjusting to new accuracy
- Barrel Blast
- ▼ Decrease shockwave radius 7->5 m
- Anchor's Away
- Switch cancel buttons from interact to ability button
- ▲ Increase main egg blast radius 4.5->5 m
- ▼ Decrease main egg shockwave radius 10->5.25 m
- ▼ Decrease cluster egg shockwave radius 5->2.5 m