- For other uses, see Captain Deadbeard (disambiguation).
Captain Deadbeard is a recurring character within the Plants vs. Zombies franchise. Captain Deadbeard is a pirate who had been frozen prior to his first appearance, being freed to fight for the zombies and typically provides aggressive support, using typical pirate equipment and has his own Parrot Pal to assist him.
As of Plants vs. Zombies 3, Captain Deadbeard has appeared in three games.
- Main article: Captain Deadbeard (PvZ: GW2)
Captain Deadbeard's first appearance is in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 as one of the four new playable Zombie classes, serving as the Zombie's sniper class. His health and zoom are like his plant counterpart, but unlike his plant counterpart, his weapon becomes close ranged when he isn't zoomed in.
Captain Deadbeard's abilities are Cannon Rodeo, which is turret-based like the plants' Pea Gatling and Sunbeam, but instead fires five heavy damaging cannonballs with splash damage, Barrel Blast, which puts Deadbeard into an armored barrel that eventually explodes around him, and Parrot Pal, which replaced Engineer's Zombot Drone from the first game and serves the same purpose.
As with the other playable classes in the Garden Warfare series, he has numerous Character variants based on him, each having their own traits which differentiates them from the standard base character.
- Main article: Captain Deadbeard (PvZH)
Captain Deadbeard reappears in the turn-based mobile card game Plants vs. Zombies Heroes with an interesting card history. He initially cost 4 and had 5/3 with the Mustache and Pirate tribes while being in the Crazy class. His first update had his card cost only 3 and instead have 4. Captain Deadbeard isn't a card that can be placed into a deck, instead only appearing once a Barrel of Deadbeards, a 2 1 Pirate Barrel also in the Crazy class is destroyed.
In Update 1.18.13, Captain Deadbeard received a sudden and massive overhaul, becoming an Event card and thus usable in a deck, as well as being moved into the Sneaky class. His new event ability made him become a 2/4 while costing 3 and gave every Pirate on the field Strikethrough. After update 1.22.12 however, Captain Deadbeard almost just as suddenly had all these changes reverted and his temporary change was moved to Captain Flameface, though it took until update 1.24.6 to remove any trace that this had occurred by making Unexpected Gifts unable to Conjure him.
- Main article: Captain Deadbeard (PvZ: BfN)
Captain Deadbeard's latest appearance is in the third-person shooter game Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville, put as a Defend class who specializes in long-range attacks. His Scattershot has become weak but more spread out bursts and like his plant counterpart, his Spyglass Shot charges while zoomed in, leading to a stronger attack the more it is charged. He also has gotten a nerf to his health, only having 100 rather than 125.
Along with this, his Cannon Rodeo has been replaced with Anchor's Away, an ability that has Deadbeard throw an anchor to attack plants, but its main use is to latch onto surfaces to let Deadbeard go to otherwise hard to reach spots.
Unlike Garden Warfare 2, Captain Deadbeard no longer has any Character variants, but instead has a large number of character upgrades, some of which grant abilities to Captain Deadbeard's primary weapon and abilities.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Captain Deadbeard.
- His name may be a parody of Blackbeard, an infamous pirate.
- His name may also be a parody of Captain Dreadbeard, a pirate from the game World of Warcraft.
- He may also be based on Captain Chestbeard, who has appeared in Plants vs. Zombies: Timepocalypse.
- He might be based off the "Pirate Captain" class from the Voxel MMORPG Trove, this is because they are both pirates, they both have a shotgun for a close range attack, relationships with "doubloons," both can deploy their parrots as abilities, and they both can deploy their cannons as abilities, though only in Garden Warfare 2.
- In the Stickerbook, it says that he was frozen in a block of ice for hundreds of years, however in a 'Fun Fact' about him that occasionally appears on a loading screen, it says that he spent the last 500 years adrift on a piece of wood.
- According to the loading screen tips, he can play the flute.