Bungee Zombie is a zombie found in Plants vs. Zombies. He is the first new zombie encountered in the Roof area and the 20th zombie encountered overall in Adventure Mode. He doesn't attack the player's house directly like most other zombies, but instead drops from the sky to drop a zombie or steal a random plant from the lawn.
|Bungee Zombie arrives|
Suburban Almanac entry
In English: Flower Thief Zombie
Likes stealing plants from above
Bungee Zombie absorbs 450 damage per shot and does not visually degrade.
Before one attacks, an arrow will shoot out of the sky with a bulls-eye attached and fall on the intended target. After a second, a high-pitched "YEEEEE-HAW!" will be heard and the zombie drops into view on his bungee cord. He hovers over his victim for 3 seconds, during which time he can be frozen, paralyzed, attacked and/or killed, but he cannot be chilled. Bungee Zombie then grabs the plant for 0.68 seconds and gets pulled back up. During the grabbing time, the plants it grabs cannot attack, but other plants still can. After that, it becomes invincible. During the final wave of any Roof level, Bungee Zombies will drop to deliver a zombie, usually between the fourth and seventh rows, in a similar fashion to the zombies that emerge from underwater in the Pool levels, and the zombies that come out of graves in the Night levels.
In Dr. Zomboss's Revenge, Bungee Zombies are dropped from Zombot's hand.
- Adventure Mode: 5-1, 5-2, 5-5, 5-7, 5-9, 5-10
- Mini-games: It's Raining Seeds, Dr. Zomboss's Revenge, Bungee Blitz
- Puzzle Mode: Dead Zeppelin, Three Hit Wonder, All your brainz r belong to us, I, Zombie Endless, Last Stand: Roof, Last Stand Endless
- Survival Mode: Survival: Roof (Hard), all Survival (Endless) levels
- Co-op Mode: Co-op Hard Roof, Co-op Zomboss, Co-op Endless
- Others: Versus Mode
On Level 5-1, when a Bungee Zombie lands on an empty Flower Pot, try to put a plant with cheaper sun cost (e.g. Sunflower, unarmed Potato Mine, etc.) so that you can plant there, as Bungee Zombies could steal an empty Flower Pot if the player hasn't obtained the Flower Pot before completing the level.
Use Umbrella Leaves to deflect Bungee Zombies by covering any adjacent plants you cannot afford to lose. This will also repel any air-dropped zombies.
It is useful to have a Pumpkin available during the final waves, in case an air-dropped zombie lands behind the defensive front.
Alternatively, if you use an explosive plant (e.g., a Jalapeno if more than one is on the same row), or pile enough firepower onto them, they will die. Three or four Gloom-shrooms may be sufficient (it also depends on other defenses you have). An Ice-shroom can also freeze the Bungee Zombie during his natural hover time, allowing offensive plants extra time to deal damage.
Potato Mines can be planted on the rows that the Bungee Zombies will drop zombies, as the active mine will blow up all zombies that he drops.
Cob Cannons cannot be targeted by Bungee Zombies, as they are too large to be carried by the zombie, even if they come in pairs. They can kill Bungee Zombies in a 3*5 area.
6 Gloom-shrooms can 100% kill bungee zombies, since each of them inflicts 80 damage per 1.9 seconds. 6*80 = 480.
5 Gloom-shrooms sometimes can, as long as one reacts quickly and attack twice. However, this does not always happen.
For other high DPS plants such as Gatling Peas and Winter Melons, their attacks can be blocked by other zombies. Therefore, they are sometimes useful in adventure, but very unstable in Survival: Endless.
DPS with Ice-shroom
Two Gloom-shrooms or three Fume-shrooms + one Gloom-shroom are 100% immune to Bungees with the help of Ice-shroom. The Ice-shroom will freeze the Bungees for at least 4 seconds. The 7-second period allows Gloom-shrooms to fire 3 times and Fume-shrooms to fire 5 times. This is enough to kill Bungees.
Builds with similar DPS are also OK, such as 1 Gloom + 2 Fume + 1 Melon, or just 1 Gloom + 2 Fume. Those are less stable, but they rarely fail.
6 Fume-shrooms can also kill Bungees with Ice-shroom, but it is rarely used.
Starfruit + Ice can also be used against Bungee Zombie, but there must be another zombie that "triggers" it to hit. When triggered, its firepower is equivalent to 1 Gloom + 2 Fumes.
I, Zombie Puzzle Mode levels
In I, Zombie, you can use Bungee Zombies to remove troublesome plants, such as Magnet-shrooms, Threepeaters, Snow Peas, and even Squashes (see this example), but first make sure that they are not covered by Umbrella Leaves or in front of non-chewing Chompers behind them or Squash near them, if you are playing Endless, or you will end up wasting 125 sun.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Bungee Zombie.
In other languages
僵尸采花贼 in Plants vs. Zombies: Great Wall Edition
|Italian||Zombi d'assalto||Assault Zombie|
|Japanese||バンジーゾンビ||Transliteration of English name|
|Spanish||Zombi colgao||Hung Zombie|
- If a Bungee Zombie tries to steal an armed Potato Mine, it will explode when the Bungee Zombie descends onto it. However, if Bungee Zombie tries to steal an unarmed Potato Mine, he will only grab the antenna, not showing the whole Potato Mine.
- Despite being midair, the Bungee Zombie cannot be blown away by a Blover.
- Also, when a hiding Scaredy-shroom is targeted by a Bungee Zombie, he will grab the air, pulling up the Scaredy-shroom, only showing the head.
- In the Roof levels, Bungee Zombies technically appear in every level because they drop ambush zombie in the final wave, but they only appear in the seed selection screen if they would steal the player's plants in that level.
- If timed correctly, the Bungee Zombie can grab an instant-kill plant (e.g. Cherry Bomb, Jalapeno, Squash, etc.) just before it activates.
- Bungee Zombies and Balloon Zombies are the only zombies that can appear on both the land and pool.
- A Bungee Zombie abducts Crazy Dave at the beginning of the Level 5-10.
- Additionally, in the song Zombies on Your Lawn, a Roof scene is shown with many other zombies, the Zombot, and a Bungee Zombie, which is shaking Crazy Dave, possibly the same one who abducted him.
- Crazy Dave is known to hate these zombies "with a passion and a vengeance" (said before Level 5-5).
- As seen in the concept design for the Bungee Zombie posted on the Plants vs. Zombies Facebook page, Bungee Zombies were originally wearing different clothes than in the final game.
- If the player has a Pumpkin on a Cattail, and a Bungee Zombie steals the Cattail, the Cattail will downgrade into a Lily Pad.
- If a Bungee Zombie steals a defensive plant like a Wall-nut, Tall-nut, or Pumpkin while a zombie is climbing a ladder on it, the ladder will remain and the zombie will simply climb up as if the ladder is still on a nut.
- When a Bungee Zombie is hit by a Lawn Mower, Pool Cleaner, or Roof Cleaner, he will turn into a puff of smoke.
- He is similar to Gargantuar when hit by a Lawn Mower or Roof Cleaner.
- If one slows down a Bungee Zombie, it will only slow down his movement, but he will still steal the plant at a normal rate.
- When Dr. Zomboss sends out Bungee Zombies, the Bungee Zombies will fly away eventually if they are not killed, even if they are frozen or buttered. This is because Dr. Zomboss dangles out Bungee Zombies on his robot fingers and has total control of when to hoist them back up.
- However, if one (or more) of the Bungee Zombies were being buttered before they steals the plant, said buttered zombie would be instantly "killed" (simply disappeared from the screen) after other Bungee Zombies flown away.
- Bungee Zombie, Balloon Zombie, Pogo Zombie, Dolphin Rider Zombie, Zomboni, Digger Zombie and Jack-in-the-Box Zombie are the only zombies that make noise when entering.
- A glitch may happen in I, Zombie on some slower computers is that if more than 1 Bungee Zombie attacks the same plant, they will all grab the same plant. It is useful to get more Sunflowers from them.
- Bungee Zombie is the only zombie whose face is seen from the front in normal gameplay.
- Although, Digger Zombie can also be seen from the front momentarily while he is spinning after surfacing.
- When the Bungee Zombie grabs the player's plants, he makes a sound like Beghouled and Beghouled Twist when they make an illegal move.
- There is a glitch during I, Zombie levels on the DS version; the Bungee Zombie's outline may not match up with where the stylus hits the screen. No amount of recalibrating the screen will fix this problem.
- If a Bungee Zombie target hits a plant, but the zombie is deflected by an Umbrella Leaf, the target will just disappear at the same time the Bungee Zombie is deflected.
- If Bungee Zombie aims for an empty square and the player plants an Umbrella Leaf after he arrives, the Umbrella Leaf will not deflect the zombie. Instead, it gives a chance for the Bungee to steal the plant.
- When Bungee Zombie dies, he will disappear. But in the DS version, he will stay in the air for a few seconds then disappear.
- In Survival: Endless, this zombie only appears during huge waves of zombies. However, in Last Stand Endless, they can appear at any time, not just during the huge waves of zombies.
- The idea of Bungee Zombie was from Swiss Family Robinson, which was the favorite movie of George Fan, the creator of the game. The idea of him was from ropes that would pull a pirate up.
- Bungee Zombie does not like it when people snap rubber bands, as stated in the Plants vs. Zombies: Official Guide to Protecting Your Brains.
- Bungee Zombies have a hitbox larger than one tile, as they stretch their arms out to the sides.
- This means they can scare Scaredy-shroom from two spaces away horizontally, Gloom-shroom can hit them in a 3*5 area, and Fume-shroom can hit them while they are targeting it or if they are 5 tiles away.
- If he targets Split Pea to steal, both heads will attack.
- It could be due to the larger hitbox, or it being slightly shifted to the left, as Split Pea's back head can hit him if he's on the same tile as the Split Pea
- During the InDev version, the Bungee Zombie in the song 'Zombie On Your Lawn', would say "I used to live a good life"
- He was later removed in the script of the song.
- Due to the sound compression in Great Wall Edition and Journey to the West, he can only say "YEEH-".
- Bungee Zombie will not steal the last sun-producing plant.