- For other uses, see Browncoat Zombie (disambiguation).
Browncoat Zombie is a recurring character within the Plants vs. Zombies franchise. Browncoat Zombies are the most basic zombie in the series, with no special abilities and basic stats. Due to how basic he is, it is common for there to be at least one variant of Browncoat Zombie in the game, and certain armored zombies such as Conehead Zombie and Buckethead Zombie become this zombie when the armor is destroyed or removed.
As of Plants vs. Zombies 3, Browncoat Zombie has appeared in every game in the series.
- Main article: Zombie (PvZ)
In the original Plants vs. Zombies game, as well as all Chinese spin-off games based on it, Zombie is the first zombie to appear, being first encountered in Level 1-1 of Day. Zombie appears in every level except for certain mini-game levels, which usually star a different zombie instead.
Conehead Zombie, Buckethead Zombie, Screen Door Zombie, and Trash Can Zombie all become this zombie once their armor is destroyed or removed, and Football Zombie is effectively reduced to this zombie under the same circumstances.
Ducky Tube Zombie, a zombie that only appears in the Pool and Fog stages, is effectively an aquatic version of this zombie, with their own Conehead and Buckethead variants that don't have almanac entries of their own. They also have ZomBotany counterparts, similar to Zombie's.
- Main article: Zombie (PvZA)
Zombie made a reappearance in PopCap's ill-fated Facebook game Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, retaining the same role as the previous game. A simple 4 peas could defeat him and he appeared in every level in The Boonies to Frostbite Falls, but didn't appear beyond that point.
It costed 200 coins to send him to attack a neighbor, as well as 25 coins and a waiting time of an hour to train him for Brainball.
- Main article: Basic Zombie (PvZ2)
Basic Zombie returned in Plants vs. Zombies 2, once again being the first zombie the player encounters, in Player's House - Day 1. Basic Zombie only appears in Player's House and Modern Day, but has a variant for every time period in the game, and thus technically appears in every world. Basic Zombie and all his variants have Basic speed and Average strength, the sole exception being Jurassic Zombie with Hungry speed.
Conehead Zombie, Buckethead, Camel Zombies, Blockhead Zombie, Knight Zombie, Bug Zombie, Jurassic Fossilhead, Brickhead Zombie, Centurion Zombie, Roman Shield Zombie, and Admiral Helmet Zombie (only appearing in the Chinese version) become this type of zombie when their armor is destroyed.
Certain Basic Zombies have more defining qualities than others, Cowboy Zombie is affected by Pianist Zombie's music, Peasant Zombie can be knighted by Zombie King, Cave Zombie is immune to being frozen, 8-Bit Zombie is only summoned via Arcade Zombie, Jurassic Zombie has Hungry speed rather than Basic, and Kongfu/Monk Zombie (in the Chinese version only) can be affected by the Weapon Stand.
- Main article: Browncoat Zombie (Spawnable)
Browncoat Zombie appears as a spawnable in both games in the Garden Warfare series as well as Battle for Neighborville, summoned by glowing dirt piles. Browncoat Zombies have a basic 30 health (though variants have slightly more health) and attack with either a Zombie Bite or a Hard Rock if the plant being targeted is in a place Browncoat Zombie can't normally reach.
Garden Warfare has three holiday variants for Browncoat, Pumpkin Browncoat (who has 60 HP), Turkey Browncoat (who has 40 HP), and Holiday Browncoat (who has 50 HP) while Garden Warfare 2 has Jackocoat (who has 60 HP), Zomtree (who has 50 HP), and Bunnycoat (who has 40 HP). There is also a Pirate variant who appears, but can only be found in certain maps in Garden Ops or when a Barrel Pirate's barrel is destroyed.
Battle for Neighborville has a Battle Leader based on Browncoat Zombie, Just Brad, who has as much health as a typical Battle Leader and a massive attack boost, able to deal 250 damage per bite, but has the inability to throw rocks.
- Main article: Zombie (PvZ: AS)
Basic Zombie returned in the Chinese-exclusive turn-based game Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars. Similar to Plants vs. Zombies 2, he was the most basic enemy in the game and had numerous time-based variants throughout the game. Unlike the mainline games however, no zombie degraded into him.
Basic Zombie and his variants simply attacked plants by attacking them up close if they managed to reach a plant, not even having a special attack they could do.
- Main article: Zombie (PvZH)
Zombie also appears in the turn-based mobile card game Plants vs. Zombies Heroes as a unusual case. He is a Professional Zombie in the Hearty class who costs 1 and has 1/1. However, as of current versions, he only appears in the tutorial, unable to even be Conjured by normal means.
He used to be a classless card like Peashooter and up to 10 of him could be placed in a single deck and The Great Zucchini would transform zombies into him. Eventually an update came around to give 1/1s to every class based on their main tribe, making Zombie exclusive to conjuring until another update removed this ability and made The Great Zucchini transform zombies into these new 1/1 zombies, to the point that Zombie effectively no longer exists in the game.
- Main article: Browncoat Zombie (PvZ3)
Browncoat Zombie's latest reappearance is in Plants vs. Zombies 3, once again being one of the first zombies encountered and retaining the role as the most basic zombie in the game. Conehead and Buckethead become this zombie once their armor is destroyed.
Similar to Pompadour and Bikini Zombie in Big Wave Beach, Browncoat Zombies in this game can spawn as either male or female, spotting a black wig if they're female.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Browncoat Zombie.
- At the start of the level, the player can hear a zombie mutter, "The zombies...are coming...", and growl. This could mean that the zombie still remembers a small part of human speech. However, it is unknown if the zombies themselves are saying this or simply an anonymous narrator, leaving this debatable.
- If any zombie that can degrade to this zombie is killed by an explosive after losing its arm but before losing its head, its lost arm will regrow before it falls into a pile of ashes. The only exception to this are the Ducky Tube Zombies in the pool, which will just disappear instead.
- However, if a Ducky Tube Zombie is blown up before he enters the pool, he will turn into ashes like a normal zombie.
- This is the most frequently appearing zombie in all the Plants vs. Zombies games.
- Zombie makes a cameo in Bejeweled Blitz, as a tournament player with the lowest score of 1000.
- Zombies do not like loud music after 10 P.M, as stated in Plants vs. Zombies: Official Guide to Protecting Your Brains.
- There are various K'nex figures of these zombies.
- As he appears in many games, he is considered to be the "mascot" for the zombies.
- A Zombie Mask is available in the Xbox Live Marketplace for 160 Microsoft Points.
- Zombie shoes are available in the Xbox Live Marketplace for 160 Microsoft Points, which are the plain brown shoes that the normal zombie wears.
- A Zombie T-shirt is available in the Xbox Live Marketplace for 80 Microsoft Points. It is white and has a normal zombie head on it.