- For other uses, see Bonk Choy (disambiguation).
Bonk Choy is a plant in Plants vs. Zombies 2, obtained after beating Ancient Egypt - Day 13. He attacks by punching the closest zombie one tile in front of or behind it. He punches once every 0.36 seconds, dealing 15 damage per shot per punch.
Bonk Choy is based on the bok choy, a type of Chinese cabbage. Its name derives from bok choy and bonk, one of the onomatopoeic words usually used to define punching sounds.
Bonk Choy's official Chinese name is 菜问, which is likely based on Yip Man (叶问), Bruce Lee's teacher.
Plants vs. Zombies 2
Note: The stats shown below only apply to Level 1.
SUN COST: 150
PLANT FOOD POWER: Duration
Bonk Choys rapidly punch nearby enemies that are ahead or behind them.
Special: can attack ahead or behind
A freelance dentist on the side, he's offering a special this month - he'll knock two of your teeth out for the price of one!
Plants vs. Zombies 2
Plant Food effect
|Plant Food Power
|1||0||0||150||5 seconds||300 dps||15 dps||60 dps||Close|
|2||3||50||150||4.5 seconds||350 dps||20 dps||75 dps|
|3||10||200||150||4.5 seconds||400 dps||25 dps||90 dps|
|4||25||1,500||150||4.5 seconds||450 dps||30 dps||105 dps|
|5||50||2,000||150||4 seconds||500 dps||35 dps||120 dps|
|6||75||3,000||150||4 seconds||550 dps||40 dps||135 dps|
|7||100||4,000||125||3.5 seconds||600 dps||45 dps||150 dps|
|8||125||5,000||125||3.5 seconds||650 dps||50 dps||165 dps|
|9||175||6,000||125||3.5 seconds||700 dps||55 dps||180 dps|
|10||225||8,000||125||3 seconds||750 dps||60 dps||195 dps|
|11||300||10,000||125||3 seconds||800 dps||65 dps||210 dps|
|12||350||15,000||125||3 seconds||850 dps||70 dps||225 dps|
|13||350||20,000||100||3 seconds||900 dps||75 dps||240 dps|
|14||400||25,000||100||3 seconds||255 dps|
|15||450||30,000||100||3 seconds||270 dps|
|16||500||35,000||100||2.5 seconds||285 dps|
|17||550||40,000||100||2.5 seconds||300 dps|
|18||600||45,000||75||2.5 seconds||315 dps|
|19||700||50,000||75||2.5 seconds||330 dps|
|20||800||55,000||75||2.5 seconds||345 dps|
*Per hit. Its Plant Food effect deals a total of 25 hits.
- Chance to Boost
- Damage Pierce
Along with its regular effect, Bonk Choy can also attract nearby zombies, increasing the power range (5x5).
Plants vs. Zombies Online
- Hover the image to see the full description.
Compared to other offensive plants unlocked in Player's House and Ancient Egypt, Bonk Choy trades effective range for DPS, being capable of dealing more than three times as much damage as a regular Peashooter. Its ability to punch backwards means that Bonk Choy can be used to attack stray zombies that get past defenses, as well as to catch Prospector Zombies and any zombies dropped by pterodactyls in Jurassic Marsh.
Bonk Choy is also useful against Mecha-Football Zombie and Punk Zombie as they generally cannot eat it and will push it back, allowing Bonk Choy to punch them continuously. It can also be good against Bug Zombie because when Bonk Choy kills the bug, the zombie will be killed as well, instead of getting released. On the other hand, Bonk Choy's limited range means that it is greatly vulnerable to the horde, particularly enemies that can instantly kill or neutralize plants from afar. Bonk Choy will also be generally outclassed by Snapdragon and by the extension of Cold Snapdragon later on. These plants have less DPS, although they trade that with the ability of area splash.
Bonk Choy should ideally be placed behind defensive plants or Infi-nut's force field to protect it from being attacked by zombies. Chard Guard is a notable exception however, as it will push zombies out of range.
Avoid using Bonk Choy behind Explorer Zombie, Torchlight Zombie, Excavator Zombie, MC Zom-B, Torch Kongfu Zombie, Torch Monk Zombie, Archmage Zombie, Wizard Zombie, Octo Zombie and Hunter Zombie they can easily kill him, immobilize him or allow him to be vulnerable to other zombies before he can even have the chance to attack.
His fast DPS means that he could deal with Zombie Chickens easily. Chickens come in horde and they could only take 1 damage. Bonk Choy could continuously punch them. While some of them melee plants like Pokra may be overwhelmed because of the brief resting period she has.
During an incoming zombie wave, it is a good idea to plant him in the middle of the horde, and feed him Plant Food to turn him into a makeshift Cherry Bomb. He will do great damage in the heavily clustered 3x3 area, devastating (if not destroying) the zombies in that area. However, the real Cherry Bomb does much higher damage and doesn't require Plant Food (you can even use instant recharge if necessary), so the effectiveness of this is questionable.
Bonk Choy can be used with in tandem with Sap-fling to slow down zombies, allowing him to attack multiple times and potentially neutralizing hordes of zombies.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Bonk Choy.
In other languages
- There is a Bonk Choy named Grrawrr-Bear in the Plants vs. Zombies Comics.
- He is one of the six plants seen in the June 2013 trailer of Plants vs. Zombies 2 while fighting the zombies, the other five are Pea Pod, Bloomerang, Peashooter, Wall-nut, and Sunflower.
- Sometimes, if an ambush zombie comes close to Bonk Choy, he will keep uppercutting it until it dies. This is also true after he destroys an arcade machine.
- He will do a normal punch instead of an uppercut against Zombie Chickens, despite a Zombie Chicken being a one-hit kill. However, the player can still hear the uppercut sound.
- His sound effect is reused from Whack a Zombie.
- According to the beta version of the seed packets, he was originally going to cost 175 sun.
- In a trailer, he uses the sounds of Squash.
- He will make an attempt to attack an incoming octopus launched by Octo Zombie.
- He will make an attempt to attack the prospector zombie that is flying up.
- He appears in the most in Zomboss battles out of any plant in the game, appearing three times.
- He is one of the plants with the most wearable costumes.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies Online
- He was formerly unlocked after beating Ancient Egypt - Day 7-1.