- For the Chinese version, see Big Wave Beach (Chinese version).
Big Wave Beach is the 10th world (6th world released chronologically) in Plants vs. Zombies 2, released in update 2.9.1, introducing new zombies and aquatic plants, with the return of Lily Pad, Tangle Kelp and Snorkel Zombie from the first game.
Big Wave Beach takes place in the 1960s, when surfing gained popularity worldwide, especially in the states of Hawaii and California in the US, as well as Australia. Various new beach gear like woodie (a car body style), necklaces with tiki faces, and beach clothes, like bikinis, were invented during this time. They can be seen in Big Wave Beach.
The main stage element of this world is the water. In each level, there is an arrow and a line of seaweed called the "tide line" that divides the land and water. The location of the tide line changes in every level. "Low Tide!" is the surprise attack for this world, which summons Imp Mermaid Zombies in random lanes, similar to Bot Swarms in Far Future. However, dangerous zombies can also be summoned, such as Octo Zombies, or even Deep Sea Gargantuars.
- 1 Audio
- 2 Game description
- 3 Order of events
- 4 Levels
- 5 Related achievements
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Walkthrough
- 8 Trivia
|Choose your Seeds|
|Middle wave A start|
|Middle wave A|
|Middle wave B start|
|Middle wave B|
|Last flag start|
Take a trip back to the '60s and hang the ten on the ocean waves! Tides are changing and those gnarly zombies make it not-so-safe to go back in the water!
Order of events
On Day 32, Dr. Zomboss states that Chomper and Bikini Zombie have become cozy lately, which makes him think that a beachside plant-zombie romance is going on. He also notes that Chomper has the appetite of a zombie, making his loyalty questionable. After defeating Zombot Sharktronic Sub, Penny says that Dr. Zomboss is just trying to "sow the seeds of discontent," while Crazy Dave also adds that they are the only ones who's going to "sow the seeds."
As a five-Jalapeno world, Big Wave Beach is generally considered a very difficult world to complete. The main source of difficulty is the water and tide mechanics, making it harder to place plants. The zombies are especially difficult to defeat when combined with this limitation. Additionally, the zombies introduced in this world are well-equipped to disable or destroy the player's defences: the Surfer Zombie can easily destroy a plant on land, and create a surfboard, removing plantable space; the Fisherman Zombie can pull plants into water, instantly killing them; the Octo Zombie is infamous for disabling plants with ease, and blocking shots with his octopuses. Some of the levels in Big Wave Beach also feature very difficult objectives, such as Day 30, where the tide is often very high, and the player must protect Guacodiles against every type of zombie in this world, including a Deep Sea Gargantuar. Due to all of these factors, many consider Big Wave Beach the hardest world in the game - significantly harder than the previous world, Jurassic Marsh, as well as the final world, Modern Day.
|3"||None||Two||Five||Special Delivery level||Money bag|
|4||Choice||Five||Three||Four||Big Wave Beach piñata|
|5"||None||Two||Four||Special Delivery level||Money bag|
|6||Choice with||Seven||Two||Three||Objective: Survive the zombie attack with most plants picked for you|
|8"||None||Two||Five||Bulb Bowling level||Big Wave Beach piñata|
Don't plant on Dave's mold colonies
|10"||Three||Two||Four||Special Delivery level||Money bag|
Survive the zombie attack with most plants picked for you
|12||Choice without sun-producing or free plants
1750 sun and two Plant Food
|Three||One||Four||Last Stand level||Big Wave Beach piñata|
Produce at least 2000 sun
Never have more than 16 plants
|14||None||Two||Three||Locked and Loaded level||Big Wave Beach piñata|
|15||Five (endangered), choice||None||Four||Four||Save Our Seeds level||A note|
|16"||Six||Two||Three||Gargantuar battle||Mystery Gift Box|
|17||Choice||Four||Two||Three||Big Wave Beach piñata|
|18"||Three||Two||One||Special Delivery level||Money bag|
Survive the zombie attack with most plants picked for you
|21"||None||Three||Two||Special Delivery level||Money bag|
|22||Choice||Six||Two||Four||Big Wave Beach piñata|
|23||Three (endangered), choice without||Five||Four||Four||Save Our Seeds level||Money bag|
|24"||None||One||Four||Bulb Bowling level||Money bag|
Spend no more than 3000 sun
Defeat 10 zombies in 5 seconds
|Big Wave Beach piñata|
|26"||Seven||One||Three||Special Delivery level||Money bag|
Survive the zombie attack with most plants picked for you
Don't lose more than 5 plants
|29||Choice without sun-producing or free plants
2500 sun and 4 Plant Food
|Six||One||One||Last Stand level||Money bag|
|30||Five (endangered), choice||Five||Four||Three||Save Our Seeds level||Big Wave Beach piñata|
|31||Five||Two||One||Locked and Loaded level||Money bag|
|32"||+||Three||None||Three||Boss battle||Big Wave Beach Trophy, Modern Day key|
+ It is boosted automatically.
" Conveyor-belt level
- Main article: Brain Busters
- Main article: Bulb Bowling
Bulb Bowling is a Brain Buster exclusive to Big Wave Beach, featured in Day 8 and Day 24. It is similar to Wall-nut Bowling from Plants vs. Zombies. The conveyor belt gives the player four different bulbs rolled by the Bowling Bulb. The player must attack the zombies by placing bulbs behind the "No Bulbs" sign, from where they will roll forward, damaging zombies and ricocheting off of them as normal.
- Main article: Special Delivery
Special Delivery is another Brain Buster in this world, featured in Days 3, 5, 10, 16, 18, 21, and 26. These are essentially conveyor-belt levels, where the player defends against waves of zombies with plants the conveyor belt gives them.
Locked and Loaded
- Main article: Locked and Loaded
Day 14 and Day 31, the two Locked and Loaded levels of this world, require the player to defeat waves of zombies using a fixed selection of plants. These levels serve as demos to 2 premium plants; namely, the Chomper (Day 14) and Homing Thistle (Day 31). The name of Locked and Loaded references a real-life phrase, where once a weapon (usually a gun) is armed, it should not be disarmed any more.
- Main article: Last Stand (PvZ2)
Day 12 and Day 29 are Last Stand levels. In this Brain Buster, the player must defeat waves of zombies using a limited amount of sun and Plant Food, granted at the very start. The player has no means of gaining sun or Plant Food during the level - sun-producing plants cannot be chosen, no sun falls from the sky, and no glowing zombies appear. The zombie waves in Last Wave levels tend to be especially unforgiving, requiring the player to get creative with their defence plans.
Save Our Seeds
- Main article: Save Our Seeds
In this Brain Buster, featured in Days 15, 23, and 30, the player must survive waves of zombies, while also protecting endangered Potato Mines, Banana Launchers and Guacodiles from being eaten or destroyed. Otherwise, they will fail the level.
- Main article: Tiki Torch-er
Tiki Torch-er is the Endless Zone of Big Wave Beach, unlocked after beating Day 20. The player starts with Sunflower, Peashooter, Wall-nut, just like other Endless Zones, along with Lily Pad as an exclusive plant. The tide line changes on every level. All zombies encountered in Big Wave Beach, except the Zombot Sharktronic Sub, appear in this Endless Zone.
Low Tide can occur at any time, and instantly wipe out plants that are not protected by a Lily Pad, especially in later levels. The higher the level, the higher the difficulty. However, it is slightly easier than Modern Day's Endless Zone "Highway to the Danger Room", because Highway to the Danger Room has unpredictable portals that spawn dangerous zombies from every single world in the middle of the lawn.
Zombot Sharktronic Sub
- Main article: Zombot Sharktronic Sub
The Zombot Sharktronic Sub is the final boss of Big Wave Beach, appearing in Day 32. The boss has three attacks: zombie summoning, sharks, and using turbines to vacuum all plants and zombies on two adjacent lanes into its mouth. Tangle Kelp, when attracted, will stun this Zombot.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Big Wave Beach.
- Big Wave Beach is the first world to have a significantly different style of music to the other worlds. The second one is Neon Mixtape Tour.
- The instrument used to represent Big Wave Beach in Modern Day's themes is the Hammond Organ.
- In addition, the electric guitar, also used in Neon Mixtape Tour, is another instrument that represents Big Wave Beach.
- It is the first world in Plants vs. Zombies 2 and the third world in the series to have water that can be planted on top of, after the Pool and the Fog from Plants vs. Zombies.
- Big Wave Beach is the first world to have female zombies, which are the Bikini Zombie, Bikini Conehead, Bikini Buckethead, and Imp Mermaid Zombie. This is also the second time female zombies have been in the Plants vs. Zombies franchise, the first being Conga Dancer.
- Big Wave Beach is the second world to introduce two different variants of Basic Zombie, Conehead Zombie, and Buckethead Zombie; one being the male variant and other being the female variant.
- The first world to do so is Kongfu World, with one Kongfu variety and one Monk variety.
- This is the fourth world to have more than two flags in any level in the map, with the first one being Frostbite Caves, the second being Lost City, the third being Neon Mixtape Tour and the fifth being Modern Day.
- Snorkel Zombie is currently the only aquatic zombie that returns from the original Plants vs. Zombies.
- This is the second world in the Plants vs. Zombies franchise to be a beach, with the first being Sweaty Palms in Plants vs. Zombies Adventures.
- Day 3 and Day 5 are currently the only levels in Big Wave Beach to not have any Lily Pads pre-planted on the lawn.
- It is currently the only world that does not have its own version of the Demonstration Mini-Game theme.
- The Ultimate Battle music of Big Wave Beach uses similar instrumentation to Wild West and Far Future's versions, with a small hint of Ancient Egypt.
- When plants are planted on water and Lily Pads, specks of dirt appear. This is different from the original game's water animation.
- This world is the first to have the Gargantuar variant introduced before the massive attack of the world, which are Days 8 and 14 before Day 16. Every world released after this one follows this rule.
- Squawks from seagulls can be heard as background ambiance in every level.
- Big Wave Beach is the first world where the plants seen on its preview are all of the world's new plants.
- This is only world in Plants vs. Zombies 2 where the player can use Lily Pad and Tangle Kelp.
- In some Android versions, the normal levels and Tiki Torch-er lag due to the waves.
- Big Wave Beach is the first world with five Jalapenos of difficulty on the world map, with the second being Modern Day.
- In the 4.0.1 update, the depth of Big Wave Beach's water was reduced, making it possible to see the legs of the zombies.
- Big Wave Beach and other worlds have certain patterns with the organization of their levels, with a Special Delivery level on Day 3, a Locked and Loaded level on Day 14, a Save Our Seeds level on Day 15, and a World Key battle on Day 16.
- It is only possible to get a Big Wave Beach lawn without water in Piñata Parties.
- Before version 5.3.1, it was chronologically the sixth world on the world map.
- Big Wave Beach shares its name with a location in Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
- Big Wave Beach's name is derived from the absurdly huge waves of zombies, along with the waves that crash in.
- In the trailer, a Deep Sea Gargantuar survived losing his head.
- As of the 6.0.1 update, the Hot Potato can be used in this world when leveled up to Level 5, as at Level 5, it gains the ability to remove octopuses summoned by the Octo Zombie.
- Currently, this and Modern Day are the only worlds in which world-specific plants from other worlds may be used.
- If a Zombie that is on land gets blown back in water by Hurrikale, it will appear knocked off-screen for a second and then re-appear back in the water.
- This is the only world to introduce two world-exclusive plants.
- Any power tiles placed underwater via Tile Turnip while the tide is out will be removed once the tide returns. This can be seen if water redacts again.
- Seagull Zombie can be heard in the intro.
- Before the 2.9.1 update, unlike Far Future and Dark Ages, this world did not have a silhouette while it was in development, but was a simple silhouette of a world with 3 question marks. This happened just like the rest of the worlds (except in the Chinese version).