- For other uses, see Captain Deadbeard (disambiguation).
Barrel of Deadbeards is a premium legendary zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Crazy class. It costs 2 to play and has 1. It does not have any traits, and its ability does 1 damage to every plant and zombie on the field, then makes a Captain Deadbeard on its place when it is destroyed. It's closest plant counterpart is Pear Cub.
Its name is a portmanteau of the names Barrel of Monkeys, a toy game released by Lakeside Toys in 1965 involving a barrel and monkeys, and "Deadbeards," referring to the zombie made by its ability.
Its description is also a reference to Barrel of Monkeys.
- Class: Crazy
- Tribes: Pirate Barrel Zombie
- Traits: None
- Ability: When destroyed: Do 1 damage to all Plants and Zombies, then make a here.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Legendary
No monkeys, just Zombies.
Barrel of Deadbeards' main purpose is to give insane value. Not only is it capable of fronting plants in a lane for 2 turns, but it also gives a very good zombie upon defeat. Captain Deadbeard has enough Strength to destroy most plants or do severe damage to the Plant Hero, meaning that it will fit into most decks with no problem whatsoever. However, remember to play it in a lane with a plant, otherwise it will just be ignored and end up being a lane clog. To prevent this, the player can make use of Fireworks Zombie or Final Mission to instantly destroy it, do damage, and get good stats along with the ability of the card used to destroy it.
It is a better idea to play this along with either Teleport or Teleportation Zombie, as the player can play this zombie during the Zombie Tricks phase, and allows the player to place it in a lane with attacking plants. However, you can only do this with Professor Brainstorm. You can also play it on Spikeweed Sector or Hot Lava for the same effect.
Note in mind that its ability damages zombies as well, and destroys 1 health zombies such as Pool Shark, Cuckoo Zombie, and Impfinity Clone. However, you can take advantage of this by pairing it with zombies that benefit from being hurt or destroyed. A good example is Jester, as Barrel of Deadbeards will activate his ability upon being destroyed. Having a Jester or two and a Barrel of Deadbeards on the field before playing a Fireworks Zombie on the field can do lots of damage, as the Jester will first be hurt by the Fireworks Zombie, then by the Barrel of Deadbeards, causing 4 damage to the plant hero for each Jester that gets hurt. Newspaper Zombie is also a good zombie to use with this as he will get +4 strength when hurt. This card also benefits Valkyrie greatly, since this card is essentially two zombies which are easily destroyed.
But if you don't want your zombies to get hurt at all, Z-Mech can use shielding cards such as Zombot Battlecruiser 5000, or Armored zombies.
Barrel of Deadbeards is quite a hard card to counter, as it can do big damage and leave a great zombie on the field. The best answers can be Hot Date or Primal Potato Mine, as they can counter the Captain Deadbeard if any self-destroy card is used. You can also predict combos with Final Mission if the Zombie Hero saves 2 or more brains, in which case you should destroy it by any means to reduce its effect.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Barrel of Deadbeards.
- Despite being named Barrel of Deadbeards, only one Captain Deadbeard is made out of its destruction.
- However, if the player listens closely, it sounds like there are multiple Captain Deadbeards.
- When a Barrel of Deadbeards on an aquatic lane (via Mixed-Up Gravedigger, Evolutionary Leap, or Killer Whale) is destroyed, it will not make a Captain Deadbeard there as he does not have the Amphibious trait.
- If the player looks closely at Barrel of Deadbeards' "When played" animation, they can see Captain Deadbeard peeking out for a split second.
- Barrel of Deadbeards initially used to lack a legendary shine.