The balloon is an item used by Balloon Zombie to bypass the player's defense. Visually, it is a red balloon and has an angry face with eyebrows and fangs drawn on it.
In Plants vs. Zombies, the balloon's only weaknesses are spikes fired from Cattail and Cactus, which will pop it and cause the zombie attached to it to fall to the ground. A Blover can also blow it away. If the balloon is popped over water, the zombie will instantly drown.
In Plants vs. Zombies 2, the balloon kept its weakness of Blover and Hurrikale, which blows Balloon Zombie away. However, the balloon is now susceptible to all attacking plants. Cactus cannot instantly pop balloons anymore. Tall-nuts and plant-made force fields can now also stall the zombie. The balloon now has considerable toughness, and is Balloon Zombie's armor, making Balloon Zombie a tougher threat in the sequel.
- In the Nintendo DS trailer, Dr. Zomboss creates a zombie with a balloon for a head.
- It is also seen when the player reaches 1000 points in the leaderboard.
- The face on it does not have bottom teeth.
- In Plants vs. Zombies, the balloon has six teeth shown. However, in the DS version of Plants vs. Zombies, it seems to have three teeth. It has four teeth in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- The face on the baloon can be also seen on Rolling Stone and Rocket Science.
- †: Metallic