Battlez is a game mode in Plants vs. Zombies 2 that was introduced in the 6.6.1 update. This mode can be unlocked after getting the Map of Space-Time-Ness from Ancient Egypt - Day 1 and requires to get at least six plants to unlock.
To start a match, the player has to pay one Gauntlet. Gauntlets can be bought with gems. However, every four hours, the player receives a free play. Two free Gauntlets per day can be obtained by watching ads.
When an opponent is found, the player needs to choose five plants, with the first slot reserved for the plant of the week. Once the plants are chosen, the player is set in the Last Stand format, then after setting-up, the "battle" begins. The player gains points based on the distance the zombies are away from the house. On default, 500 is the most for a single zombie and 100 being the least. However, higher scores can be obtained as the game continues.
This mode is time-based, and as the time decreases the zombies get stronger and stronger, to a point where they could withstand multiple instant-kill plants. The faster the player kills the harder and more the zombies will be. Winning a match of Battlez is brought about by getting a higher score than your opponent, and grants the player five Crowns, whereas losing a match only yields one Crown. If the player breaks a streak, they can pay ten gems to retain it, with the cost increasing by ten per retain.
Each week, there will be a different type of tournament that the player will have to compete in. Each type of tournament has its own way of changing the gameplay (the change can be quite minor, however). For example, a tournament can shorten the time it takes for a match to finish.
Also, this mode also has several different leagues; the player gets promoted if they place top 3 in their league by having a number of Crowns higher than all but two other players in their league. If they are placed in one of the last three spots, they will be demoted to the league before that one (This is not the case in the lower leagues, where special methods are required to be demoted). Several gems, mints and coins are rewarded in promotions.
It has been noted that this mode does appear to be lacking a "real" matchmaking feature that pairs you with another player fairly. There have been reports of people that had low-leveled plants to still be paired with a person with max-level plants or still high-level plants.
Maximum promotion rewards
|League||Mint Rewards||Gem Rewards||Coin Rewards|
Featured Power Mint
|Tournament||Featured plant||Restricted plants*||Duration||Zombies||Starting sun||Special mechanics||Surprise attacks||Schedule|
|Gold Bloom's Garden Party Tournament||N/A||3:00||750||N/A||N/A||March 14, 2018-March 20, 2018|
|Caulipower's Escalating Tournament||N/A||3:00||750||N/A||Parachute Rain!||March 21, 2018-March 27, 2018|
|Dandelion's Brainstorm Tournament||N/A||3:00||350||Speed potions||N/A||March 28, 2018-April 3, 2018|
|Power Lily's Garden Party Tournament||N/A||3:00||750||Minecarts||N/A||April 4, 2018-April 10, 2018|
|Wasabi Whip's Blitz Tournament||N/A||1:30||1500||Bot Swarm!||April 11, 2018-April 17, 2018|
|Explode-O-Nut's All-Out Tournament||3:00||5000||Slider tile, frozen (2)||Raiding Party!||April 18, 2018-April 24, 2018|
|Bombegranate's Garden Party Tournament||N/A||3:00||750||Dark Ages gravestones, Ancient Egypt gravestones||Sandstorm!||April 25, 2018-May 1, 2018|
|Electric Peashooter's Warped Tournament||3:00||-+||3000||Dark Ages gravestones, Ancient Egypt gravestones, occassional mass-sun drop||N/A||May 2, 2018-May 8 2018|
|Lightning Reed's Brainstorm Tournament||N/A||3:00||650 (or more if pre-placed are shoveled up)||3 pre-placed||Sandstorm!||May 9, 2018-May 15. 2018|
|Electric Currant’s Garden Party Tournament||N/A||3:00||750||Slider tile, minecarts||N/A||May 16, 2018-May 22, 2018|
|Electric Blueberry’s Brainstorm Tournament||N/A||3:00||750||Dave's mold colonies||N/A||May 23, 2018-May 29, 2018|
|Cold Snapdragon's Escalating Tournament||3:00||750||N/A||N/A||May 30, 2018-June 5, 2018|
|Solar Tomato's Warped Tournament||3:00||750||Sun Bombs, portals||N/A||June 5, 2018-June 12, 2018|
+ and - : They swap everyday.
- According to a PopCap community manager (referred to Haemophilus EA on Reddit), the player is not actually fighting against other players in real-time, rather, just "ghosts". The score progression seen in gameplay is just a replay of the "ghost" player's previous Battlez round.
- Other affirmations that support this are:
- A list of over 9900 names for these "ghost" opponents may also be found here.
- When tapping on the Battlez icon, the Dark Ages Zomboss Battle intro plays, along with the boss music.
- When being awarded for winning a match, no extra Crowns are given for obtaining higher scores or beating your opponent by ???%.
- This is the only mode in the game where zombies cannot eat your brains. This is because when a lawn mower is activated, it is automatically regenerated. If a zombie somehow manages to reach your house, it will get instantly killed.
- All upgrades, except for Wall-nut First Aid, Instant Recharge and Mower Launch, are disabled on Battlez.
- Also, plants that are boosted in the Zen Garden will not have their boost in this mode.
- The player does not get points for the zombies destroyed by lawn mowers.
- However, it scores points when it destroys a surfboard.
- World exclusive plants cannot be used in this mode.
- Unlike in Modern Day, Neon Mixtape Tour zombies in this mode do not have their jam abilities.
- In the textures for the trophies that identify for each league, there appears to be an unused crystal-like trophy.
- The setting in this mode is the same as Player's House and Modern Day worlds, but in the style of Dark Ages.
- Removing armor and destroying gravestones score points.
- If the player manages to defeat all the zombies before the time runs out, the results screen will pop up, despite the amount of time remaining.
- Lightning Reed’s Brainstorm Tournament is the first tournament where the special plant is a free plant.
- The player can obtain extra starting sun in Lightning Reed’s Brainstorm Tournament by shoveling up the three pre-placed Electric Peashooters.
- Sometimes, in Electric Currant's Garden Party tournament, if a zombie is killed over a rail (see Minecart and rail) , very few points will be given, that is, the points that would be obtained in the lowest scoring zone, even if the rail was in the highest scoring zone.
- In Electric Blueberry's Brainstorm Tournament, if a kicked Super-Fan Imp lands on one of Dave's mold colonies, it will blow up, scoring points according to where it landed. The points will only be scored after it has disintegrated.
- Starting from the Golden League, a player will not gain any crown upon surrendering. But he will still gain 1 crown if defeated when the time is up