Abracadaver is a premium super-rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and a member of the Crazy class. He costs 3 to play and has 3/2. He has the Gravestone trait, and his ability does 3 damage to a random plant every time he does damage to the plant hero.
He is based on a magician, a person who practices and performs magic, one of the oldest performing arts in the world where the audiences are entertained by stage tricks or illusions.
His name is a portmanteau of "abracadabra," referring to the famous incantation, and "cadaver," meaning a dead body, which is referring to the zombie himself.
The rabbit on his top hat is a reference to the famous "pulling a rabbit out of a hat" magic trick.
His description references the phrase, "What's the magic word?" In this case, the magic word is "please." This could be a reference to the parenting trick used to teach young children to be polite.
- Class: Crazy
- Tribes: Mustache Pet Zombie
- Trait: Gravestone
- Ability: When this hurts the Plant Hero, do 3 damage to a random Plant.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Super-Rare
Keeps forgetting that the magic word is "Please."
- Rarity change: Rare → Super-Rare
- ▲ Health change: 1 → 2
This zombie can potentially be very dangerous, hitting both your opponent and a random plant which could be essential to their strategy, and possibly destroy that plant before it has a chance to attack. But to do that, Abracadaver must damage your opponent. Due to his low health, it is recommended to destroy, move, or Bounce any plant that separates Abracadaver from any plants on the same lane, then watch him wreak havoc. Bungee Plumber, Cakesplosion, and The Chickening are all good candidates for removing plants.
Each hero has their own way of using Abracadaver well with their other class:
- Electric Boogaloo can use him in his pet deck where he can be boosted from Zookeeper and benefit Cat Lady. Alternatively, Vitamin Z and Maniacal Laugh can also boost his stats to ensure that he stays alive, not to mention that the latter will also ensure that Abracadaver will most likely hit your opponent with his newly-gained Frenzy trait.
- Z-Mech can use cards such as Rock Wall, Camel Crossing, Coffee Zombie, and Going Viral to also help ensure that Abracadaver stays alive, and if either Coffee Zombie or Going Viral was used, also almost ensure a hit on your opponent. He can also use Terrify or Sumo Wrestler to keep Abracadaver's lane clear.
- Impfinity can give a starting boost by having Headstone Carver on the field. He could also play Abracadaver on Laser Base Alpha to give him both Strikethrough and Deadly so that Abracadaver is guaranteed to land a hit on your opponent and destroy a plant with his ability. If Laser Base Alpha is not available, Impfinity could alternatively use Super Stench, Barrel of Barrels, or Zombot Sharktronic Sub for the Deadly trait. (While Ice Moon is an alternative for the Strikethrough trait, Ice Moon can only be Conjured by Quasar Wizard and is thus unreliable.) And finally, he can keep Abracadaver away from combat against plant fighters with Pogo Bouncer, Backyard Bounce, or Smoke Bomb, similar to Z-Mech.
- Professor Brainstorm can play either Electrician or Lurch for Lunch to allow Abracadaver to destroy whatever is in front of him or to attack early and do 3 damage to a random plant right away. To use both Electrician and Abracadaver, Electrician must be on the right of Abracadaver, since gravestones are revealed from left to right.
A good zombie to bring along with Abracadaver would be Jester, since they function very differently from each other (with Jester needing to be hurt while Abracadaver being unable to afford to be hurt) and thus requiring different counters to take them out efficiently, resulting in some mind games; your opponent may play a weak plant that can damage Abracadaver to prevent their plants from taking 3 damage, only to find out it was Jester.
Since this zombie comes from a gravestone, Grave Buster can be used. If he comes out, Sour Grapes, Kernel Corn, or any damaging plant or trick is also a great counter to this zombie. Whipvine or Sweet Potato can move Abracadaver onto a lane with a plant that can dispose of him. He is not that hard to defeat due to his incredibly low health, so he can easily be defeated by any card that can do damage.
However, what makes it difficult to defeat him is his Gravestone trait. Because of the many 3-brain Gravestone zombies in the game, it can be risky to use a plant against the gravestone because it could be something like Jester or Smelly Zombie instead. Making the wrong choice can result in key plants being taken out and hindering your strategy.
You may also want to get rid of environments that activate his ability, such as Moon Base Z, Ice Moon, and Laser Base Alpha.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Abracadaver.
- If one looks closely on the cards he uses to attack plants, there are five brains, a reference to the 5-card in a card group and two of the letter "Z" in place of the numbers found in the corner of a card.
- He shoots the same projectiles as Sweet Potato, Seedling, Quasar Wizard, and Mirror-Nut.
- He shares the same name as a zombie magician villain from the 1998 TV series, The Powerpuff Girls.